The Ketchup Bottle royalty free ten minute scene for two
Theater Words offers royalty free plays and scenes, plays for women, plays for Black actors, African American plays, plays with gay themes, ten minutes plays, scenes, plays for children, plays for small theater groups, created by the Performing Arts Department of The Shipley School.
The Ketchup Bottle : a ten minute scene for two
The Ketchup Bottle
INTENT: Rapid exchanges.
Learning when to use the pregnant pause.
Body language to express frustration.
Some pantomime (there may or may not be a real bottle on the table.)
1. It's a mess. Coke all over, wet paper stuck to the table.
2. Why can't you just accept me for me, the way I am.
1. We are what we do. You can control those things. You don't have to be a pig.
2. Now I'm a pig!
1. I didn't say you are one, all I said was you don't have to be one.
2. Are you so perfect? All you ever do is complain.
1. It's not complaining. It's constructive criticism.
1. I'm looking out for your welfare.
2. I think I'm old enough to take care of myself, thank you very much!
1. Well, you're not old enough to sit still at the table.
2. I was perfectly fine at the table. You're the one who started the fuss. I was minding my own business......
1. Tearing off ketchup bottle labels. How infantile!
2. "Unless you become as little children"....
1. Don't quote the bible to me, and anyhow, that's not what it means.
2. How do you know what it means. Are you a priest or something?
1. You don't have to be a priest to know that that's not what it means.
2. Oh, pardon me Mr Biblical Scholar.
1. Listen to yourself. How childish.
2. Look. I was just sitting here, minding my own business, not bothering anyone .
(Each trying to outdo the other)
1. Tearing off labels from ketchup bottles...
2..... perfectly content minding my own business.....
1. sitting right there in my face and making a mess all over the table with all those little bits of paper.
2. Get over it!
1. I won't get over it! There's no need to.....
2. No need to what? - Complain about every little thing.
1. I'm not complaining. I'm trying to lead a decent life.
2. What's life got to do with a ketchup bottle?
1. Nothing. It's not the bottle it's the label.
2. The label!?
1. You know what I mean.
2. No I don't know what you mean. I don't think you do either.
1. It's the principle of the thing. Look what you've done.
2. What have I done?
1. Look at the bottle.
1. It has no label. How are you supposed to know what's in there?
2. Whadda ya mean what's in there. It's ketchup!
1. But you took the label off.
2. So what. It's still ketchup.
1. How am I supposed to know that?
2. Any moron can see that it's ketchup.
1. So I'm a moron!
2. I didn't say you were a moron. I said you can see that it's ketchup!
1. It could be anything in that bottle - hot Tabasco sauce!
2. It's ketchup. You can see it's ketchup. You can tell it's' ketchup. It looks like ketchup it and smells like ketchup.
(2 grabs 1's wrist and pushes finger into the bottle)
2 continues with emphasis.
"Stick your finger in it! It tastes like ketchup! Here!
1. (puts finger in the ketchup bottle. Tastes it. Goes to put finger back in the ketchup bottle.
(There is a long pause of disbelief. 2 stares at 1.) 2. (dumbfounded,) Do you have to do that?
1. Do what?
2. What you're doing.
1. What am I doing?
2. Yes, "that" Your finger!
(1 looks at finger)
1. I just want to be sure.
2. You're gonna put your finger back in the bottle after you put it in your mouth?
1. I just wanted to see.......
2. You're gonna put your germy fingers back in that bottle after they were in your mouth?
!. It won't kill anyone. I'm not sick.
2. How can you do a thing like that. It's revolting.
1. Note: If you are not familiar with this trick. Take a straw and pull the wrapper all the way down to its base without tearing the paper. The wrapper will form an accordian shaped stub. Remove the stub and place it on the table. Dip the tip of the straw in the coke and syphon up just a drop or two. Hold your finger on the upper end (to lock the air) then release a drop on the curled up wrapper. The wrapper will slowly unfold and expand like a crawling worm.